Channel Brief Filming and Editing
After planning the pre-productions and gathering all the location permissions we started to film with the first drink of our product which was “Perception” in order to build better sight no matter what problems you are dealing with by using the colour Red for the drink. This is when we went to the first location of one of the residential halls of Dorchester. Using the location of my room also giving all the props that were already there that were needed for the mise-en-scene effect.
Filming this day was really good as there was no harm in any potential weather hazards as it was all recorded indoors however there were loads of stuff on the floor which created less efficient working space for the camera to be placed but we as a team managed to get all the necessary angles and shots we needed. Once all the filming and footage was complete we transferred all the data from the camera straight onto the computer’s hard drive so we had a copy just in case.
For a second video we filmed the “Power” product, and for this location we used the gym that was already available to us, which was the university sports gym and as everything was easy for the permission we went straight to filming onto just the bench press and free weights area. For this idea of our advertisement we originally wanted to fit a female into the scene however no actual female actress wanted to participate in the footage therefor we came to a backup idea of using another bloke and changed the idea of a girl recognising the strength the drink gives you but a low self-esteem boy. This worked well as this aimed much well towards our target audience allowing smoother transactions of the media text to the consumers. This drink that our main actor was holding (Curtis Bacon) was Orange. As a group it was really quick and easy to do all the necessary filming as we kept together all our storyboards and shooting log so we knew what was possible to record and what wasn’t. Once all of the recording was done we then headed back home to backup the footages on the computer hard drive again.
Our third film was on the idea of “Velocity” product, choosing the location of the beach however due to both the weather conditions on the day of the shoot we could not use the beach for 2 reason, 1 being there was sand that could get into the hardware of the cameras and equipment and 2 the wind and water were too heavy for us to do our initial idea. But then we came up with the contingency of filming in the Bournemouth walking park. This helped us both beneficially and efficiently. Even though there were heavy winds with location we came to a part where only small amount of pedestrians walked making us have more film and establishing shots for the whole scene. I enjoyed this shoot as it was quickly done under a lot of pressure from both our storyboards being diverted into a different location and the potential hazards of bad weather. Luckily it did not rain making all the footage solid gold. After this we came to the conclusion of getting all we needed and headed for a coffee shop looking at all the playback to check if everything was there and then backed up the footage onto the external hard drive.
Our fourth and last film was then filmed with just myself, Curtis Bacon and Alex Blackshire. And as it came down to the shooting we could not get the females that wanted to be the main characters of our scenario however luckily we came to a contingency of having a free running idea instead a robbery scene. From here we filmed out in the public going over obstacles such as walls, ramps and pathways to get the shots we wanted in different angles to give more of an edge to the filming and editing process. This was my favourite filming as all the pieces fitted together from both the weather being really sunny giving a natural and happy vibe in the camera lense when recording. We managed to film all we needed within an hour of planning what we needed to do after being told the females cast could not attend. This gave me Curtis and Alex a better chance to see if we could solve this problem within a matter of minutes. Once all the filming came together we went back to edit each of the videos separately.
(screen shot of 4 products timeline sequences)
In these screenshots Im showing the rush cuts that me and Alex Blackshire put together getting rid of all the cutscenes and shots we took that didn’t flow with the sequence. But we then made another edit going through the whole sequence but this time looking at the detailing and cutting the bits that would make one frame of the scene to blend to the next. After that was done we kept on replaying the whole sequence to see if the flow of the scenario within each product was done correctly which it did and gave us a huge relief.
Once the videos were edited properly for all 4 footages, we moved onto making the videos go from black and white to colour as soon as the drink was taken. Not only did we have to teach ourselves to create a frame with black and white effects but also the timings. Once this happened we moved onto having a backing track instead of audio and sounds effects. This way it gave the audiences in our target market a much better feel for the product and its service.