Dorset Independance: Finalising the Design Poster

After last weeks first attempt on the poster we began to construct further into the design, this is when we came up with the concept of using the castle and hill to bring in some historical value to the piece. Within the team my colleague Charlotte managed to design the graphics with a silhouette template of our design of what it could of been like. Creating a draft of what we could imagine to work.

1

2

– Image by Charlotte Strethill-Smith

Looking at these design we started to feel the positioning of the mountain and hills seemed too generic for us to use but we found and came to an agreement to keep the mountain and hills concept and just positioned it to a point where the agriculture didn’t take up all the whole visual imagery this was so that later we could fit in the typography simultaneously.

During this iteration process we decided to use the colour scheme that were similar to a sunset like i mentioned from my previous post, this way the colours that were used had a symbolic reference. From this feedback as a group we moved onto our next iterative design process of adding colour and changing the mountain and wyvern to left side of the poster this way the type face can be constructed to the right. This was reformed as we believed as a team that the first poster of the wyvern surrounding the castle make it look protective instead of free, this lead to the wyvern facing up towards the sky, the reason for this is because we wanted the poster to become more powerful with an emotional response. We came to this decision by the method of ‘Rule of thirds’. This gave us a much more better understanding on how the audience would interpret the poster giving a much more professional approach to the design.

Here is a draft before the typeface was placed on:

3

– Image by Charlotte Stethill-Smith and Sam Pothecary

We then moved onto the next stages of the poster by adding the font. By placing the text onto the poster we tested if it would fit in the middle going to the right which was just a prototype but came to the decision that it didn’t look or feel right therefore we came to the discussion of keeping the bottom text as it is and move the ‘Be Free’ to the right becoming more dominant and bolder to read.

4

This is when we came to the final and finished design for our poster. Shifting the text from the middle to the right was a great decision as we wanted to engage our audience into being able to read the text as well as being able to clearly see it. On the plus side it was the matter of fact this poster would be placed in an open space so we needed something that people could see within a matter of seconds which catch a glimpse of what the text says.

5

 

Our next task after finalising this poster was to create and construct the result of making this poster 3D as I mentioned before using acetate while testing what works and what doesn’t before being displayed in the mediated space.

Digital Photography School, (2006). Rule of Thirds – Digital Photography School. [online] Available at: http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds/ [Accessed 14 Oct. 2014].

Advertisements